"When I got my first television set, I stopped caring so much about having close relationships." -Andy Warhol

10.21.2008

Phantom of the Opera

Misha and I went to the Capitol Theater to see a presentation of the silent film “Phantom of the Opera”. Considering our last experience with a silent film, I was hesitant to go. But it turned out to be great fun. We were celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Capitol Theater’s grand reopening in 1978. I’m not sure how watching an old movie celebrates that, but it was free and that certainly does spell celebration. It’s been a long time since I’ve been in that theater, it was high school I think, and I saw “Phantom” on the stage then. It’s still a neat place, and we had better seats this time. I like the “sunburst” ceiling the most, although looking at it too long made me dizzy. They pulled out the mighty Wurlitzer organ for the production, which was fun to hear, and the organist played the popular music from Andrew Lloyd Webber. My only concern, after seeing the film, is that everyone remembers that the strangler’s noose acts quickly! Raise your hand!

1 reactions:

Anonymous said...

sure, why not!